WHO WE ARE
The South Dunedin Business Association (SDBA) has for many years been working to make South Dunedin a place where businesses want to be, to encourage new businesses to arrive, and support existing businesses to prosper. South Dunedin hosts a significant part of the city’s commercial activity -from retail through wholesaling operations to light and not-so-light manufacturing. Over the last few years your Association has begun to seeing some real results from the work we have done in recent years, and increasingly we are being consulted (and more importantly listened to!)
- The Business Association worked closely with Dunedin City Council to support the redevelopment of the South Dunedin Retail Centre to ensure vibrancy and a positive atmosphere influence the whole district. This project has had real results in how people see the ‘look and feel’ of the retail precinct.
- This Website – www.southdunedin.org.nz has been developed by the Business Association as a website for the South Dunedin Community to publicise local events to the community as well as promoting local South Dunedin businesses involved in the Association.
- The successful South Dunedin Street Festival, which was postponed last year, was initiated by the Business Association, and mounted in partnership with local community advocates South Dunedin Voice. It is planned again this year for Saturday November 4, 2017. Get involved!
WHY YOU SHOULD JOIN
South Dunedin continues to ride above the many challenges the times throw up. We still have less empty shops, with new businesses arriving and King Edward Street seems to be busier than ever, in spite of some closures in the current difficult trading environment and other challenges beyond our control- like flooding!
- SDBA makes submissions to the Dunedin City Council‘s Annual Plan, and Long Term Planning processes in support of businesses in our district, including our request for recognition of South Dunedin as an area of priority for supporting economic activity. We are there for our members. Your Association has urged Council to bring forward the planned South Dunedin Library and Community Centre for the last 5 years, in no small part because of the economic boost of the project itself, let alone the long identified need for this facility.
- Our AGM is on 9 August 2017 @ 6pm at the Nanking palace. If you would like to be more involved, we would welcome other committee members as co-opted members. Just get in touch or come along on the night.We are confident the Business Association will continue to play an important part in revitalising the area and building a strong business community, and remember – the support goes both ways.
Together we have more influence – join us.
Craig Waterhouse, President
Work 455 3770
HOW TO JOIN
You can download and print this membership form:SDBA Membership form